Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Academic Excellence and Social Responsibility

Back to University Lala Land Life… The day after my booze session with my high school pals, I went to this Senior’s Party the Juniors from the Political Science program organized. It was all fun, amidst the allergy I was enduring. The kids expressed that it would be hard for them to fill the void that our batch will be leaving, etcetera, cheesy moment here, cheesy moment there. My favorite part was when the Juniors read to us the very inspiring messages from our professors. I though I’d share.


FROM PROFESSOR FATIMA ALVAREZ-CASTILLO (My seminar paper adviser!)
Hep Hep Hooray! A huge toast to the 2010 Political Science Graduating Class!!!
From freshies struggling with mixed emotions (nervousness, practically clueless on what to expect but excited nonetheless), I have seen you evolved to mature, confident, accomplished young intellectuals. You belong to the class that seems to have the biggest number of achievers. I am very proud of you and thankful for the opportunity to have been part of your journey.
It was indeed the most memorable school year, your ast one at cas, not only becaus of the countless hours of correcting nth drafts of seminar papers. But most memorable for me too because this year I have proven scientifically what I had simply intuited in the past that when students are mentored in enabling ways, they will deliver. The bountiful harvest of excellent seminar papers this year is clear evidence of this - papers that I would be proud to have my name associated with.
Here are my most rambunctious wishes for a great future to you all!!! Remember what counts in the final analysis is whether or not you are proud of what you do and accomplish. I will miss you but then I can always try to learn how to Facebook.


FROM PROFESSOR LOURDES E. ABADINGO (Something short and sweet. It was under her teaching that I had one of my best subjects, Political Dynamics.)
I would like to congratulate the graduating class of 2010. Many of you have been my students in at least two subjects. I know that this is a brilliant class. I know too that the members of this class would surely go places. When you leave the portals of your alma mater, I hope you would always bring with you two important values we treasure most in the University - academic excellence and service to the Filipino people. I wish you all the best! Mabuhay kayong lahat!


FROM PROFESSOR ROMULO “BOBBY” M. TUAZON (He teaches everything about International Relations, perhaps my favorite in the of study Political Science. He’s really good, I just wish I had performed better in his class.)
There are those who succeed in college - and succeed as well in their later life. There are those who are not outstanding in college but succeed later in life. Still there are those who fail in college and also fail in life.
Academic life especially in UP is fine breeding ground fo the bright minds - as well as the not-so-bright. It is also a time for adopting new ideas, a time for weaning away from parental guidance to self-independence and self-reliance. UP is a fine institution for developing one’s independence - a quality one badly needs, something that you can cherish as you exit the academic environment.
At this stage, you begin to realize that UP is an academic world - but the real world is just outside. Yes, the university throbs with ideas - but the bigger society throbs with the realities of life, sometimes harsh, unwelcoming, unpredictable. The greater society speaks of inequalities and injustice, oppression and repression. You begin to realize that the statistics of poverty and corruption that you may have learned inside the classroom will begin to come across to you in real terms and in bleaker images.
You may begin to despair but you may begin to challenge yourself and ask this question: What is a career for if the vast masses of people are poor and oppressed, what is material success if 7 out of 10 Filipinos experience hunger once a week? What have I learned from UP - if the greater knowledge that will also teach you compassion or anger is just within your reach outside the academe? What is this UP diploma for if millions of Filipino youths are deprived of education that they deserve - not only because they must have it but also because it is a right that is denied them due to poverty and state neglect.
You cannot but be affected. And you cannot but be engaged. Life is always an engagement; it is better spent for a worthy cause. And that worthy cause is not you or your career but the broader society.
You now know that our nation cries for change - it is ripe for change. Be part of this historical process. Be part of the greater masses. Social change needs great minds and youthful idealism. It needs young, committed social activists and advocates. Being part of a soial process and devoting your mind and energy and time is incomparable. Sharing your life with the people is a mission that you can only do once in a lifetime.
This is a period of transition, a time for making great decisions in your life - of choosing which road to take. Would you take the road least traveled, as a poet would put it? I can tell you that it would be worth trying this road.
Maraming salamat at congratulations sa lahat!
HOORAY SENIORS!!! :)

0 comments: